The Museum of Augustins, Toulouse Continued

January 12, 2015 by
Filed under: France 

A Visit to the  Toulouse Museum Augustins

The Darcy/Viollet-le-Duc Wing, which has 3 main exhibition areas, was completed in 1901.

On the ground floor of the Museum of Augustins is a magnificent collection of 12th century Romanesque Sculpture.

The collection of sculptures originate from three 12th century religious buildings in Toulouse.

Colourful pillars and suspended light fittings are used to show off the sculptures to great effect. The fittings contrast strongly with the grey stone, but perhaps surprisingly does not detract from the strong presence of the sculptures themselves. When I walked down the stairs and entered the doors of the room it definitely had the wow effect.

Museum of Augustins

Museum of Augustins

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The second area is the Darcy staircase, which houses some striking 19th century sculptures. The natural light in this area is supplemented by spotlights placed to illuminate the statues. The mixture of stone and the flat red bricks used extensively in Toulousian architecture looks simply amazing in this context.

The Darcy Staircase

The Darcy Staircase

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The work by Paris artist Eugene Thivier is called “Le Cauchemar” (The Nightmare). It is sculpted in marble and dates from 1894.

 The Nightmare

The Nightmare

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“The Hunting Nymph” is by a Toulousian artist, Jean-Alexandre-Joseph Falguiere. It is also sculpted in marble and was completed in 1888.

The Hunting Nymph

The Hunting Nymph

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The third exhibition area of the Museum of Augustins holds the Paintings Galleries, itself split into 3 areas. The paintings range from the 17th to the 20th centuries and include works by major French artists, like Manet and Toulouse-Lautrec as well as some by Dutch artists, including Bruegel.

The Painting Section

The Painting Gallery

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bottom left in the Red Room picture is “Alexander’s Generosity” by Jerome-Martin Langlois, 1819. At bottom right is “Moulay Abd-er-Rahman, Sultan of Morocco Leaving the Palace in Meknès with his Entourage” by Ferdinand-Victor-Eugène Delacroi, 1845. It’s called his ‘monumental’ work, as it’s 3.4m wide and 3.77m tall.

From the white room, we have “Avant le Deluge” by Cornelis Corneliszoon, 1616 and also a sculpture by a Toulousian artist, Francois Lucas, dated 1777.

A Visit to a Toulouse Museum Continued

Comments

Comments are closed.

Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com